1. Flowers for Algernon : Algernon is a mouse, but a mouse is not any. With a daring operation, a scientist has tripled its IQ, making it perhaps smarter than some humans. Certainly most of Charlie Gordon that, until the age of thirty-two, has lived in the painful awareness of not being very … awake. But what happens when the same operation is performed on Charlie?
2. Le notti bianche : The theme of “romantic dreamer”, the solitary hero who spends his days immersed in the dream, in a paradise of illusions, sadly suffering and away dall’incolore and customary realities of daily existence, runs like a thread of ‘Arianna this story.
3. The Shining : The Overlook, a strange and impressive hotel overlooking the high mountains of Colorado, has been the scene of numerous killings and suicides, and seems to have absorbed evil forces that go beyond any human understanding and occur especially in winter when the ‘hotel closes and remains isolated by the snow. A failed writer, Jack Torrance, with his wife Wendy and son Danny five years, agrees to the guardian winter Overlook and that’s when the evil forces are unleashed. Before Danny, who has extrasensory power, the shine, materialize the horrific events that took place in the rooms of the hotel, but if the child strongly opposes to pitfalls and attendance, the father becomes the victim.
4. And Then There Were None :A murderess acts in the refuge Lagazuoi, halfway between Cortina d’Ampezzo and Val Badia; the motive is revenge. The discovery of each body follows the discovery of loose papers, on which a mysterious man wrote nine of the ten stories of the title. The key to the riddle lies in the fate of the tenth.
5. American Gods :After three years in prison Shadow is coming back into the wild when he learns of the mysterious death of his wife and his best friend. On the plane taking him back to the house the man receives a job offer from a rather enigmatic Mister Wednesday: Shadow accepts, but will still take some time to find out who is actually his boss, who his companions ‘business and who its competitors.
6. The Minds of Billy Milligan :The October 27, 1977, police in Columbus, Ohio, stops ventiduenne Billy Milligan on charges of kidnapping, raping and robbing three university students. Billy has several previous convictions against him and the evidence is overwhelming. But, during the psychiatric report requested by the defense, reveals a disconcerting truth: Billy suffers from a serious dissociative identity disorder. In his mind, “live” as many as 10 distinct personalities, interacting with each other, take time to time over and push Billy to behave unpredictably. In the process manifest the icy Arthur, 22, who reads and writes Arabic; the fearful Danny, 14, who only paints still lifes; the violent Ragen, 23, Yugoslav, who speaks Serbian-Croatian and is an expert in karate; the sensitive Christene, 3 years old, who can write and draw, but suffers from dyslexia; and then Alien, Tommy, David, Christopher and Adalana. So, for the first time in American judicial history, the court issued a judgment of not guilty by reason of insanity. However Billy remains a puzzle unsolved until, during hospitalization in a specialized institution, gradually emerge not other 14 autonomous identities, among which “the Master”, the synthesis of life and memories of all 23 alter ego . And thanks to his collaboration was possible to write this book.
7. Dead Souls: IPavel Ivanovich Chichikov travels through Russia by buying “dead souls”, the names of the farmers died after the last census on which the owners had to pay taxes until the next census. He wants to use those names for the assignment of lands granted only to those who could demonstrate a number of serfs. The novel was supposed to be composed of three parts, the third, however, was never written, while the second only fragments remain, however, in which the framework of the vices and defects Russians looks less bleak than in the first part.
8. It :In a charming and sleepy American town, a group of kids, exploring the game for the sewers, awakens from a sleep primordial formless and monstrous creature: It. And when, many years later, It reappears to ask his tribute of blood, same kids, now adults, abandoning their families and their jobs to return to combat. And the nightmare begins again. An enlightening journey along the dark corridor leading from the baffling mysteries of childhood to those of maturity.
9. A Series of Unfortunate Events :in this tremendous first episode, the three brothers become immediately three orphans, meet the individual more slimy and evil in the world, they risk losing all the inheritance and are guarded by a man with two hooks instead of hands. You are sure to want to read it?Â
10. A Song of Ice and Fire : In a land out of the world, where summers and winters can last for generations, is about to explode a huge conflict. On the Iron Throne, in the South warm and opulent, sits Robert Baratheon. The conquered after a bloody war, taking it to last, mad king of the dynasty Targaryen, the lords of the dragons. But his power is now threatened: the extreme north the barrier – a wall erected to defend the kingdom from primordial animals and, above all, by Strangers – seems to waver. It is said that the Others have disappeared for centuries. But if it is true, who are those beings with eyes so unnaturally blue and icy, hidden in the shadows of the forest, who steal the life or sleep to those who have bad to meet them?